It's all about the food
Classes, recipes, and more
Cooking and Baking
Want to replicate a favorite sweet or savory dish that reminds you of Malta or Nanna's cooking or improve your cooking skills. Join us for a cooking or baking class. All levels are welcomed and all classes are lead by an experienced food instructor. Check the events page or calendar for upcoming classes. Classes fill up quickly and require pre-registration.
RECIPE OF THE MONTH
September: Qarabaghli mimli fil-forn – Stuffed Marrows
6 large marrows (courgettes or zucchini can be used)
500g/1lb mince beef and pork
2 Maltese sausages( Italian sweet sausage can be used)
Salt and pepper
Basil for garnish
3 teaspoons parmesan cheese or cheddar
2 cloves of minced garlic
7 medium sized chopped yellow onions
2 teaspoons of tomato puree
2 teaspoons of chopped parsley
10 chopped potatoes
Method: Pre Heat oven to 400F
1. Cut the marrows top half, remove the seeds. Scoop the white flesh and put it on a plate to be used later on.
2. Place the minced beef and pork and sausage meat in a bowl together with 2 onions, garlic, eggs, salt, pepper, tomato puree, and parsley.
3. Add also 6 teaspoons of white flesh to the mix and stir them well.
4. Put the mixture in the marrows.
5. Meanwhile if you have not already done this, dice the potatoes and the other 4 onions.
6. Add a little water to bottom of the dish and place the potatoes at the bottom of the pan with the onions over them.
7. Pour some olive oil on top of them and also salt and pepper.
8. Insert the marrows on top, sprinkle some breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and basil on top as a form of garnish.
9. Sprinkle potatoes with fennel seeds.
10. Bake in the oven at a temperature of 400 F for an hour or more. (recipe from ilovefood.com.mt)
Here are some tips for ingredients to recreate that authentic flavor
More to come!!!